Monday, September 26, 2011

Finishing Another Bathroom

Yes, apparently I'm in a bathroom sort of mood. We just finished the main bath last week, and now I'm putting the finishing touch on the half bath in our master bedroom.

Hubby and his dad remodeled this room right after he moved in, while we were still dating. So for some reason, I didn't think about putting up any decorations until just a few months ago. It's just your standard bathroom. I dream about the little changes I can make someday down the road to make it special :)

I love those walls full of embroidery hoops filled with awesome vintage fabric, so I tried to recreate that on one wall.

I'm not thrilled with the fabric, but I'll work on that in the future. I'd like for it to have more of a vintage feel. But for the other wall, I have to have something lightweight, because the pocket door frame is right there, so no big nails or screws. I thought about just doing a really big, oval hoop that I saw at Hobby Lobby with fabric. But then, I was inspired by these, which are all over Pinterest.

Love! So simple, but still so much impact! So I made my own.

I started with a 16"x20" oval canvas from Hobby Lobby, a package of wood letters for each of our initials, and a package of foam scrapbook stickers (I just love that font!).

I was going to use all wood letters, but it turned out to be a much better deal to get the scrapbook stickers, which were half off. They're all glittery, but that didn't make much difference for this project.

I usually just eyeball lining things up, but I knew that if a single letter was crooked on this thing, it would drive me crazy. So I took the time to measure and line things up using masking tape.

I tossed around a lot of ideas for the wording, but absolutely fell in love with just the word "wholehearted." It really sums up what I love most about our relationship, that we are devoted to loving each other with everything we have. Wholehearted.

So the foam letters were stickers, but I had to hot glue the larger wood letters to the canvas. You wouldn't think it would be hard, but I had to glue the B like three times. But it's on there now. Mostly.

Now, the room is mostly creams, so I wanted to add some color, rather than white. I used some spray paint I've been using on just about everything right now, Rustoleum's Slate Blue Satin. It only took one coat, then just a little touch up. Awesome!

It looks so pretty! I think it may need some ribbon to finish the edge. You can see the staples, and it kind of bugs me. I'll work on that, but I like it better than the empty space!

No comments:

Post a Comment